Sometimes when summer ends it takes a whole bunch of other stuff down with it. People move away, bars close, the rain sets in, maybe you even get your heart broken. No matter the reason, the changing of seasons kinda sucks until it doesn’t anymore. I’ve made a playlist with equal parts depressing indie music and vindictive pop to get you through the turbulence. Honestly, I went from crying to feeling kinda okay while listening to it. Hope it does the same for you.
(Note: Playlist has best effect if listened to IN ORDER.)
Track list, with key lyrics for your reference:
- Sad Girl – Lana Del Rey
- Calico Man – PHOX “And I will shout it from these corners that I may never love again”
- Pretend You Love Me – Sonny and the Sunsets
- Dark Parts – Perfume Genius
- Not Your Lover – Blitzen Trapper “In my sleep I’m not your lover anymore/ When I wake I have to remind myself that I’m sleeping on your shore.”
- All Too Well – Taylor Swift “You call me up again just to break me like a promise/ So casually cruel in the name of being honest.”
- The Good That Won’t Come Out – Rilo Kiley “I think i’ll go out and embarrass myself by getting drunk and falling down in the street/ You say i choose sadness, that it never once has chosen me/ Maybe you’re right.”
- Burn – Usher
- It Is What It Is – Kacey Musgraves
- Starring Role – Marina and the Diamonds
- Saltwater – Beach House “Love you all the time/ Even though you’re not mine.”
- One By One – Billy Bragg and Wilco
- Unfucktheworld – Angel Olsen “Here’s to thinking that it all meant so much more.”
- In Due Time – PHOX “And for years to come in the mornings/ You may think that I’m the best thing you’ve almost had/ In due time if I gain some self respect/ I could smile upon the day that we first met.”
- Tangled Heart – Luluc
- We’re Just Friends – Wilco
- Stay – Rihanna
- You Are What You Love – Jenny Lewis
- The Mermaid Parade – Phosphorescent
- Don’t Apply Compression Gently – Courtney Barnett “I may not be 100 percent happy but at least I’m not with you.”
- Stupid – Kacey Musgraves “Love is stupid/ Don’t know why we always do it.”
- If It Makes You Happy – Sheryl Crow
- I Won’t Share You – The Smiths
- I Care – Beyonce
- Dancing On My Own – Robyn
- The First Cut is the Deepest – PP Arnold
- I Go To The Barn Because I Like The – Band of Horses
- Really Don’t Care – Demi Lovato and Cher Lloyd
- Tears in the Typing Pool – Broadcast
- If I Needed You – Emmylou Harris
- Chasing A Ghost – The Morning Benders
- There Will Be No Divorce – The Mountain Goats “If i ever want to drive myself insane/ All i have to do is watch you breathing.”
- Love Hurts – Roy Orbison
- Happiness/The Gondola Man – Elliott Smith “What I used to be will pass away and then you’ll see/ That all I want now is happiness for you and me.”
You know how I thought I was too busy for blogging back in September? Well, it has been a month since my last post and I am struggling to even do the things I am obligated to do. It is hard work being a newspaperwoman, student, and general decent human being. I hope that you’ll forgive me.
Luckily, music and reporting about music are two of my biggest priorities, and I hereby resolve to be better for you in the coming months. By the end of this week, I promise you a comprehensive show guide for the month of November! Sound good?
For now, I hope you’ll enjoy this Perfume Genius song. Even though this album came out nearly a year ago, I am still obsessed with it as ever. I saw Mike Hadreas perform this past Friday and when he played this song, it brought me to tears. I don’t know how he did it, but he made the Aladdin feel like a glass palace.
And to read a full review of the show, make sure you pick up a copy of The Pioneer Log this Friday!